Did you grow up with a problem drinker?
Al-Anon is for families, relatives and friends whose lives have been affected by someone else’s drinking. Many adults questions whether they have been affected by alcoholism. If someone close to you has, or has had a drinking problem, the following questions may help you in determining whether alcoholism affected your childhood or present life, and if Al-Anon is for you.
- Do you constantly seek approval and affirmation?
- Do you fail to recognise your accomplishments?
- Do you fear criticism?
- Do you over extend yourself?
- Have you had problems with your own compulsive behavior?
- Do you have a need for perfection?
- Are you uneasy when your life is going smoothly, continually anticipating problems?
- Do you feel more alive in the midst of a crisis?
- Do you still feel responsible for others, as you did for the problem drinker in your life?
- Do you care for others easily, yet find it difficult to care for yourself?
- Do you isolate yourself from other people?
- Do you respond with fear to authority figures and angry people?
- Do you feel that individuals and society in general are taking advantage of you?
- Do you have trouble with intimate relationships?
- Do you confuse pity with love, as you did with the problem drinker?
- Do you attract and/or seek people who tend to be compulsive and abusive?
- Do you cling to relationships because you are afraid of being alone?
- Do you often mistrust your own feelings and the feelings expressed by others?
- Do you find it difficult to identify and express your emotions?
- Do you think parental drinking may have affected you?
Alcoholism is a family disease. Those of us who have lived with this disease as children sometimes have problems which the Al-Anon program can help us to resolve. If you have answered yes to some or all of the above questions, Al-Anon may help. If you have questions about attending a meeting please refer to our Common Questions, after that if you would like to talk to a member or want to know more about the meeting closest to you, feel free to call 0508 4 ALANON (0508 425 266) to talk to a member close to you.